Friday, February 20, 2009

Entry Two: The Diving Helm



This is my diving helm. It's an antique diving helmet made of copper and brass with glass viewing windows on the front, both sides, and the top. All the tubing and rubber gaskets and such are missing, so if I ever want to really use it I'm going to have to do a whole lot of restoration work, but as is it makes a pretty good doorstop. My rough guess at the age is sometime in the 1960s or 70s. I've had this since Christmas 2007 when I received it as a Christmas present.

Not a lot of stories attached to this piece yet. I was ordered to wear it as best man at my cousin's wedding once, but that plan fell through when the theme changed from 'Ocean' to 'Traditional outdoor wedding because the bride was going to kill him if I came dressed as a diver.' Someday I still hope to wear this thing to a wedding, even if it has to be my own.

I'm going to need a very understanding bride, I think. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment